Monday, December 8, 2008

Fixing The Slug Problem

I added a new piece of computer equipment since I wrote my backup story. It's a Lynksys NSLU2 Network Storage Link – the slug. It's a nice little unit that allows attachment of USB storage to the network. I like the thing and decided to buy another for testing. Since they are no longer available in the store that means eBay.

I ordered one and it arrived within a couple of days. The only problem: when I picked up the package – there was a rattle. I went ahead and opened the box and sure enough the rattle was from inside the unit itself. No problem, I'll just tell the seller it's on its way back.

That means email which means a delay. So, I'm staring at the thing at the beginning of the weekend wondering what it could be. I've opened one before to fix the speed problem and I know there isn't anything in there that can rattle. What is it?

I don't know who to blame, but by Sunday afternoon I had to open it up. So, I printed opening instructions from NSLU2 Serial Port (who knows more about the slug than the Internet?) and started the operation. As soon as I got the case separated, the battery fell out.

The operation took less than 15 minutes, including returning to the Internet to check for images of the battery holder. After reassembly, the unit worked and remembered the setting changes I made, so I'm calling it as good as it can get.

You can watch the rattle-test, disassembly and reassembly on Youtube.

Tom

No comments: