Monday, June 4, 2007

Skywarriors in the Desert

    I took a trip to the high desert last year to the Hesperia/ Victorville area and continued to Yermo, then back tracked to Mojave. I am looking for a new place to live and started driving around looking for possible locations. I always liked the high desert even though it can get cold in the winter and pretty hot in the summer.
     Leaving Yermo I took CA 58 from Barstow. That is a middle of nowhere drive. I was a little surprised when approaching Mojave as the 58 goes north of the airport, which is different from the last time I was by there. I stopped to take a picture of the airport which is a popular place for airliner owners to park their planes when they are out of service.    As I was zoomed-in, I noticed some smaller-than- airliner aircraft that looked interesting. They had a different appearance than the other aircraft - that low-viz military gray. If you are familiar with US Naval aircraft you know what I mean. So, I decided to take a closer look.
     When I got on the airport property and closer to the action I noticed the planes are Douglas A-3 Skywarriors. They look like the ones Raytheon was operating as test vehicles several years. They have been missing from Burbank Airport for several years and one source said they had been scrapped or destroyed. I guess not! There's four of them out there.

No comments: